Harry and Meghan ‘invited to appear on Palace balcony during Platinum Jubilee’


The Duke and Duchess of Sussex during last week’s Invictus Games in The Hague (Picture: Getty)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been invited to appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace during the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, according to reports.

The couple, who quit their duties as senior royals in 2020, have not had an easy relationship with the remaining family in the years since.

They have spent most of their time in California, where they relocated, and gave an interview to Oprah Winfrey criticising palace life.

But recently, olive branches seem to have been extended on both sides.

The couple made a secret visit to the Queen and Prince Charles while on their way to the Netherlands for the launch of the Invictus Games.

Now, the Telegraph reports they have both been invited to join the rest of the Royal Family for the traditional balcony appearance to watch an RAF flypast, which will take place on June 2.

The invitation also includes family events such as a service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral during the Jubilee, which will celebrate 70 years on the throne for Queen Elizabeth II.


Prince Charles, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Queen Elizabeth, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Prince William, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace

Charles, Camilla, the Queen, Meghan, Harry, William, and Kate stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace for a flypast in 2018 (Picture: Reuters)

But as the couple stepped back as senior working royals they will not have a formal role in the celebrations, the paper said.

The Queen herself, who will turn 96 on Thursday, is thought to be unlikely to make extensive public appearances during the Jubilee, as she is increasingly frail.

She has missed events such as yesterday’s traditional Easter Sunday church service at Windsor Castle due to mobility issues.

It is hoped that she will be able to take part in the Trooping the Colour procession and appear on the balcony alongside her family during the Jubilee at the very least, the Telegraph reported.

The question of whether Harry and Meghan will be present has been the source of speculation after they did not attend a memorial service to honour Prince Philip last month.

Harry has said he fears for the safety of his family in the UK after a Home Office decision not to give him the police protection he had as a working royal, even if he paid for it himself – a move he is currently seeking a judicial review of.

A spokesperson for the Sussexes said they were not in a position to discuss travel plans for the Platinum Jubilee.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Publisher

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Posts