Travis Scott announces new initiative Project HEAL after Astroworld


Travis Scott wants to ‘honour’ the victims of the Astroworld tragedy (Picture: Rick Kern/Getty Images)

Travis Scott has announced a new charity called Project HEAL with an aim to ‘make all events the safest spaces they can possibly be’ four months after the Astroworld tragedy, which left 10 people dead.

At least 50,000 people had gathered for the November 5 event at the site of the former Houston Six Flags park in Texas, however when Travis took to the stage at 9pm, the crowd surged forward.

Numerous people lost their lives after the stampede, including nine-year-old Ezra Blount, who had been placed into an induced coma, and university student Bharti Shahani, 22, who died after spending a week on a ventilator in hospital.

After taking time out to ‘grieve and heal’, Travis has now launched Project HEAL, which the 30-year-old revealed as a long-term series of philanthropy and investment efforts towards ‘actionable change’.

He said: ‘Over the past few months I’ve been taking the time and space to grieve, reflect and do my part to heal my community.

‘Most importantly, I want to use my resources and platform moving forward towards actionable change. This will be a lifelong journey for me and my family.


Travis has addressed the tragic events at Astroworld festival

Travis has addressed the tragic events at Astroworld festival (Picture: Erika Goldring/WireImage)


The crowd watches as Travis Scott performs at Astroworld Festival.

10 people died after a surge at Astroworld, the crowd seen here at the festival (Picture: AP)

‘While it’s easy for corporations and institutions to stay in the shadows, I feel as a leader in my community, I need to step up in times of need.

‘My team and I created Project HEAL to take much needed action towards supporting real solutions that make all events the safest spaces they can possibly be.’

Travis – who recently welcomed his second child, a son named Wolf, with Kylie Jenner added he ‘will always honour the victims of the Astroworld tragedy who remain in my heart forever’.

The Sicko Mode hitmaker is hopeful the initiative will be ‘a catalyst for real change’.

He added: ‘Giving back and creating opportunities for the youth is something I’ve always done and will continue to do as long as I have the chance.

‘This program will be a catalyst to real change and I can’t wait to introduce the rest of the technology and ideas we’ve been working on. See you all so soon.’

Travis has already announced the initiative will include $1million (£760m) in pledged scholarships for students at historically black colleges and universities (HBCU).

He said: ‘My grandfather was an educator who made a difference in thousands of young lives throughout his life. He is a major influence on me and countless others, whose dreams he believed in, whose hopes he invested in, and whose futures he made big.

‘It’s in his spirit that we are creating projects and programmes that will look to the future of our communities and create hope and excellence in as many lives as possible.’

The Waymon Webster Scholarship Fund will grant $10,000 (£7,600) scholarships to seniors who have achieved academic excellence, but are struggling financially in their second semester senior year.

The overarching ambition behind the scholarship is to ensure that 100 students manage to complete their studies and achieve their potential.

However, it comes as Travis faces a $750m (£569m) lawsuit following the Astroworld tragedy. The Highest In The Room rapper is named as the defendant in the suit, which was filed by Tony Buzbee on behalf of 125 festival-goers who are accusing the organisers of ‘gross negligence’.

Publisher

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Posts